Spanish Tortilla (Spanish Omelet)
Known as tortilla de patatas (potato omelet) and tortilla española in Spain, the traditional Spanish Tortilla is an excellent meal for not only breakfast but lunch, a snack, or even dinner when paired with some sides. As you may know, here in the States we refer to this dish as the Spanish omelet. Finding recipes can be a little misleading as everyone has their little twist on things, so we are here to provide you the true, no-frills take on the Spanish Tortilla.
The Spanish Tortilla is a national culinary icon. You probably have tasted it before but if you have never tried the Spanish Tortilla, don’t be fooled by its name as there is absolutely no tortilla involved in its creation. It has more in common with an Italian frittata than with anything Latin American. The name tortilla comes from the Spanish word torta, which means “cake.” The Spanish Tortilla has the thickness of a tiny cake due to the layers of sliced or cubed potatoes.
In other words, this is simply a potato and egg open-faced omelet. It is as easy to make as it sounds. Yes, it is as easy as pie…or in this case, tortilla! Here is the simple Spanish Tortilla recipe that only takes four to five ingredients and just six steps to make.
Spanish Tortilla Ingredients:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Spanish Tortilla Preparation:
- Peel the 4 potatoes and cut them into quarters. Place the potatoes in a pot of boiling salted water and boil them for no more than 5 minutes for the starch to release.
- Remove the potatoes from the hot water place them in a hot pan with some extra virgin olive oil drizzled on top. Cook for 4 minutes on high heat or until golden.
- Lower the heat and fully cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes. Remove and place the potatoes on a paper towel and pat them dry if necessary.
- In a bowl, beat the 6 eggs and add salt to taste. Fold in the potatoes to let it soak the eggs for a few minutes.
- In a hot pan, pour in the extra virgin olive oil followed by the eggs and potatoes. After about 4 minutes or when one side is fully cooked, carefully flip and fully cook the other side for 4 minutes.
- Slide the Spanish Tortilla out of the pan and onto a serving plate. Garnish with parsley and let the dish cool for a minute or two, and enjoy!
We hope you enjoyed this guide as much as you enjoyed your Spanish Tortilla. Feel free to share with family and friends and make sure to check out more Latin food recipes on Classy Latina.